Search This Blog

Aug 7, 2008

What is a doula?

As a doula, I accompany women in labour to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience. I draw on my knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort and, as needed, communication with the hospital staff to make sure that you have the information you need to make informed decisions as they arise in labour. I can provide reassurance and perspective to you and your partner, make suggestions for labour progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort. I am an independent doula. As your doula, I am working for you, not your caregiver or the hospital. I believe that you are in charge of your own birth and that I am the invited guest. I am there to serve you to help you have the type of birth you have envisioned for yourself.

No comments: